"small" audiences

Subject: "small" audiences
From: Miriam Rainsford (motet@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Aug 01 1999 - 18:40:03 EDT

Larry Austin wrote:

>> Ea/cm is perceived by us, perhaps,
as an artform of small, select audiences.
That's understandable, since our music is
music of the "laboratory" and needs to be
"tested" in non-hostile gatherings first by
our friends and fellow practitioner-experimenters
before being accepted for the next larger
audience...say the ICMC (where audiences
have been in the hundreds, even thousands
in Thessaloniki, e.g.).

There is the larger venue of compact disc
sales, where our successful "experiments" can reach
thousands--with repeated listenings!! And radio,
the web, of course.

Don't be sad. Acoustic music has the same
process of testing, acceptance, and broader
success. It works. <<

I disagree that you can classify those of us who are fortunate to have
a recording contract as successful "experiments" and therefore better
music, as if it was a process of natural selection. Surely a lot of very
good ea/cm works never make it to recording and "repeated listenings", as
this is not an area which is known to be commercially successful, and
recording companies largely will award contracts not on the basis of what
is groundbreaking new music but what is likely to sell. I cannot see that
you could classify those works as a distillation of the best new music has
to offer simply because they have been fortunate to appear in a commercial
CD format!

Miriam Rainsford
motet@compuserve.com

  E-mail from: Miriam Rainsford, 01-Aug-1999