Re: Source, Observances, etc

Subject: Re: Source, Observances, etc
From: matt kober (mattkober@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 30 1999 - 11:15:08 EDT

 Kevin wrote:

 Max, eg, is an extremely powerful
> implementation of
> information theory and mathematical models of
> random, weighted, filtered
> and stored data, and the underlying basis of the
> Markov chain. Does the
> student benefit from having a profound understanding
> of the intellectual
> basis of this system?

I really don't think so... just like one need not be a luthier to play
a guitar well...

In fact I think that you don't need to know how to solder transistors
to use a DSP or how to program a computer to use it. There will always
be those who want to spend the countless hours programming new music
software so most of us can just sit down and spend countless hours
making music. nothin' wrong with that.

As far as the pencil/scanner analogy goes, i agree wholeheartedly (as a
young composer and student) that being introduced to the fabric of
sound is better introduced with analog. Once this is understood, it's
a short hop to understanding the concepts of bits, sampling, domains
etc..

L,P & H

M@