Re: observing methodologies / PAE

Subject: Re: observing methodologies / PAE
From: Darren Copeland (darcope@interlog.com)
Date: Wed Jul 28 1999 - 16:04:55 EDT

At 04:17 AM 7/28/99 -0700, you wrote:
>This method discussed recently about sending copies to the
>judges prior to competitions was brought up after last years PAE
>panel. And when I discussed this notion to the organizers
>they felt that transcribing 3-700 entries to multiple
>CDR's or so was by its sheer volume time AND cost prohibitive.

In my posting I suggested that composers send multiple copies of their
submissions. I agree the time to make CDR masters would be very costly and
tedious.

To do it this way, the expenses for the competition are:

Jury members listening time:
Return postage for package of CD's sent to each jury member:
Administrative coordination:

Money that would be spent on hotels, airplanes, and meals could be diverted
to larger jury fees and the cost of mailing the materials back and forth.

For the composer, the added expense is the reproduction and mailing of 3 to
5 CD's per work, which is not a lot considering that 3 CD's roughly equal
the price of a longer playing DAT.

Three jury members with sufficient listening time might be enough, rather
than five or several jury members listening to short samples in succession.

> It is ,however, more constructive and fair to the submissions
>but there seemed to be few qualified persons available to
>go through all of these in Austria with the knowledgable
>criteria for possible preselection choices.

Pre-selection is another issue. What are the chances of a work that is
potentially interesting to a jury member being weeded before the jury member
gets to hear it? Is this worth it, considering the amount of stuff that has
to be weeded through before reaching an acceptable standard of quality?

Darren Copeland

--------
darcope@interlog.com

For more background on my work, contact my web site at:
http://www.interlog.com/~darcope

Click on New Adventures in Sound for more information about Sound Travels.

For info about the CEC, contact their web site at:
http://cec.concordia.ca