Re: observances, etc.

Subject: Re: observances, etc.
From: Darren Copeland (darcope@interlog.com)
Date: Tue Jul 27 1999 - 10:19:54 EDT

I'm a little behind in my cecdiscuss mail, so bear with me.

Eric Lanzillotta's comments about the tremendous amount of stuff a jury has
to weed through is symptomatic of music competition juries in general. The
theatre model is interesting. A panel of judges attend plays over a year and
then hand out awards based on the works mounted that year. Of course, they
are working on a civic scale, rather than an international one.

Nonetheless, could electroacoustic competitions not steal a page from their
playbook? They could request composers to submit five CDR copies of their
submissions so that all of the jury members can go through the works
privately in their own home over an extended period of time before coming
together for discussion? This obviously brings in other expenses, but then
it also removes the necessity for them to meet at all, which is the most
expensive option of all!

Why compromise the decision-making process when in some cases a significant
amount of money (and pride) is on the line?

Perhaps those with experience in running competitions would like to comment
on this.

Yours Sincerely,

Darren Copeland

--------
darcope@interlog.com

For more background on my work, contact my web site at:
http://www.interlog.com/~darcope

Click on New Adventures in Sound for more information about Sound Travels.

For info about the CEC, contact their web site at:
http://cec.concordia.ca