Re: The Youth Tag

Subject: Re: The Youth Tag
From: Ian Chuprun (ianc@sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 27 1999 - 00:54:49 EDT

Hi all,

Maybe this isn't the right time to be making my (coming soon) call for works from
young (Canadian) composers and emerging artists for a concert to be held at
Concordia this November... so I'll jump in on the other side of this topic and
see what happens.

But before I do, I gotta say that I find it very interesting that this issue
follows on the heels of the PAE discussion. Good timing? A coincidence? Maybe its
the same issue? I dunno.

Having 'youth' as criteria for a competition or festival is indeed difficult as
it seems to penalize segments of the community (possibly one group being those
who decide to have children and require $$$ to feed more than themselves and only
return to the arts post-thirties) but the spirit of such competitions should not
be lost on the cynical. Support for the 'next' generation is always needed
because (at least one example) funders tend to fund those being funded already.
Its hard to get that first break, and these 'no geezas need apply' projects are
good at setting up an up-and-coming with at least one or two lines in their CV,
if not a little bit of cash.

I think the community knows who is young, who is emerging and who is established,
but if not, a few criteria IMHO for those who have moved out of the young and
emerging artist category would be any of the following:

- having completed a phd in ea/cm/dm
- have a cd contract
- having won a big competition (or maybe two)
- have received a grant from an established funder for more than a few bucks.

No hard and fast rules from me, but I think its fair to say that to do any of
these it would require having been 'around' for some time. No?

Flameshield On. Ready. Go!

Ian