RE: Russolo

Subject: RE: Russolo
From: Larry Austin (austin@sndart.cemi.unt.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 26 1999 - 17:59:18 EDT

Lisa Whistlecroft wrote:

> >Interesting, as Prix Russolo is a growing competition with a keen
interest
> >in promoting 'digital musics'.
>
> But only from the young. There is an age limit of 35! Late starters
not
> admitted, it seems!

Not only are late starters disallowed, but "sub"-merging composers in
their
'sixties and 'seventies--like me--are kept from such competitions. I
theorize

that composition competitions of all types adopt this under-35 or 40
guideline,
because their beneficence flows from the mistaken notion that their
competition
surely will attract and award its prize to the next, emerging musical
genius
and
thereby bring glory to their competition and its sponsors. Competitions
are
not so much a product of the enlightened altruism of their founders but
means to bring world-wide or nation-wide notice to their own interests
and institutions. And "older" (but still feisty) composers don't do
that.
There
remain some notable exceptions to this "rule", however. When I think I
have
"won" enough of these competitions that I should "step aside and let the

younger composers have a chance", I'll certainly do it (and I have, in
some
cases). Meanwhile, I'm a competitor, when allowed.

Cantankerously,

Larry Austin