Re: observances

Subject: Re: observances
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Sat Jul 24 1999 - 10:16:00 EDT

wrote:

>I think the point, which I believe is relevant, is that most of these
>pieces basically end up sounding like demos for the software and have no
>really input. Basically you are hearing the same techniques used over and
>over and over and not seeing anyone really actually do anything, just
>process their sounds and churn out another piece like everyone else's.

And, IMV, this is how music has existed for a _long_ time. For the
period, eg 1760 - 1799, how many major (european) composers do we know
(really well)? Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven (Schubert -- sic). The Clementis
and Vanhals, major composers, frequently contributed formulaic pieces,
and 'churned out another piece like everyone else's'.

I do not take this is a criticism, and see it as being an important part
of life. There may be a certain kind of maturity in the community now
that 'every new piece' is not devoured by hungry artists! When Silver
Apples of the Moon appeared on Nonesuch, this was a _really_ *big* deal.
Every new ea/cm album in the 60s and 70s was 'an event'. The community is
no longer so young.

Theoreticians are able to look over a much larger body of work and
hypothesize regarding commonalities and features. Structures,
institutions and organizations that were needed to 'bind communities
together', are re-examined in the light of their success in making
themselves less and less central. This will continue, no doubt.

kaustin@vax2.concordia.ca