Re: Academic or Not?

Subject: Re: Academic or Not?
From: Dennis Bathory-Kitsz (bathory@maltedmedia.com)
Date: Fri Jul 23 1999 - 21:22:46 EDT

[Originally sent directly to Kevin; posted with his permission to continue
this thread of the discussion]

At 06:26 AM 7/10/99 -0400, Kevin Austin wrote:
>For 'academic', I would nominate Charles Dodge's "Earth Magnetic Fields",
>or Milton Babbitt's "Ensembles for Synthesizers"

When I first heard these -- I guess I was 21 or so -- I just loved them,
thought them lush & moving. I was driving a truck in those days, living in
a two-room apartment in Trenton (New Jersey, that is), married for the
first time (of 3), building my own synths out of scavenged parts, and
overdubbing by taping over the erase head, making noises and collages and
manipulations with tape (50 brand-new reels found in a dump because a
recording studio had changed formulas) and some razor blades from the
hardware store and splicing tape shoplifted from Radio Shack. I paid
US$1.98 each for all the Nonesuch series as it came out, marveling over the
beauty these composers could make!

yrs,
Dennis
http://maltedmedia.com/