Re: observances, etc.

Subject: Re: observances, etc.
From: Anomalous Records Eric (eric@anomalousrecords.com)
Date: Fri Jul 23 1999 - 14:07:09 EDT

At 12:03 AM -0400 7/19/99, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
> It was so different from today, a great golden age of new music
>when it's possible for PAE to have 700 entries (seven hundred! what a
>wonderful, unimaginable burden!)

You marvel at this, yet absolutely are offended by a jury having to
subjective to make their selection. Even if we assumed that the pieces
averaged 10 minutes each (and I know gunter's is actually 25), that would
be 7000 minutes or almost 117 hours of music. Even if you spent 8 hours a
day (assuming no break time or time to actually change the discs or take
note) this would be 14 days in row, and even then this would not account
for going back and listening to anything again. So even estimating on the
low side (and it was actually more than 700 entries, wasn't it?), this
begins to sounds like a Herculian task. Maybe if one had all year to go
through it all, but who has that leisure of time. How long does it take
you to go through pieces and decide what is played on your radio show
Dennis? Do you honestly expect that if you got 700 pieces in the course of
a couple weeks, you wouldn't just pick the names you were familar with, or
ones you had heard something about and wanted to look into, the ones you
thought might stand out from the rest of the pile?

Eric Lanzillotta
<eric@anomalousrecords.com>

Anomalous Records
P.O. Box 22195, Seattle, WA 98122-0195, USA
telephone: (206) 328-9339 fax: (206) 328-9408
<http://www.anomalousrecords.com/> or <http://209.221.136.101>
<http://www.anomalousrecords.com/Streamline/>