Re: Why Computer Music Sucks

Subject: Re: Why Computer Music Sucks
From: jan.larsson (jlarsson@ibm.net)
Date: Thu Jul 22 1999 - 04:20:03 EDT

At 18.54 +0200 99-07-21, Anomalous Records Eric wrote:

>I think I should refer you to read the whole of his article, as it's too
>much for me to re-type and besides I don't think I can speak for Bob,
>especially not entirely agreeing with his aesthetic. Maybe the whole
>article is on the Resonance web site:
>http://www.l-m-c.org.uk
>I haven't had time to look myself.

Yep, it is there:
http://www.l-m-c.org.uk/texts/ostertag.html

"The very existence of all those kids goofing around with sampling on
the family Macintosh has helped to stir an interest in novel musical
approaches in general and music made with computers in particular that
is broader than ever.
 Isn't it ironic? On the one hand we find market constraints squeezing
popular music with an unprecedented vigour, and on the other hand we
have a public with an equally unprecedented fascination with computers
and their possibilities. And yet Computer Music can find no audience
beyond those who make it."