Re: Why Computer Music Sucks

Subject: Re: Why Computer Music Sucks
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 21 1999 - 07:21:55 EDT

Eric wrote:

>I think he was talking about computer music specifically above.

What does he (or you) mean by 'computer music'? Using a computer in the
production of a work?

> I think it
>is true that a lot of computer music and electroacoustic music that comes
>through here does share a very similar method of construct, and very little
>variance compositional.

Do you feel that there a range of 'types' or categories? What are the
limits to these?

Is there the 'MIDI' piece? The extended-MIDI piece?

The 'exploration of the object'?
The 'sounds over a beat'?
Fragmented collage?

Is the use of text a dividing line between some categories? (and many
sub-groupings as to the functions, from narrative to sonic etc).

Are there pieces in two (contrasting) sections? Pieces with one single
evolving section? Pieces made up of many (contrasted) sections?

Is there use of quotation? Other external references?

Is there a strongly felt presence of a keyboard? Drum-machine/looping
sequencer?

Is there the use of environmental material with little (or much) detailed
(moment to moment) transformation / manipulation?

The factory-patch piece?

etc etc

kaustin@vax2.concordia.ca