Re: remix?

Subject: Re: remix?
From: Neil Wiernik (neilw@web.net)
Date: Mon Jul 19 1999 - 19:38:32 EDT

Actually for the term remixing at our present time has nothing to do with
having access to the original multitrack. In fact most contemporary remixing
involves using the final product and or samples there of to create a remixed
version of the original. For the most part its much more easy then gaining
access to the original multitrack tapes. In the earlier days of hip hop and
dance music culture a remix was done not very far off from the way in which
John Oswald did his plunderphonics. A producer (usually a DJ) would go into
the studio
with two copies of a particular track and on 2 Turntables would do wahts
called spin doubles. This si to beat match two of the same tracks at the same
pitch and cross fade them or play them together and then some times even beat
match in some other generic music that fits. This would then be recorded on
to 1/4 inch tape edited and bam old school dj styled remixes. If the
DJ/producer was a little more depth in the studio he would do a multitrack
version then mix it down and then do final edits before mastering.
But now a days its done a little differently as I described above.

Just my street valued knowledge 0.02 and 1/2 cents ;)

Neil

--

__________________________________________________________________ Neil Wiernik naw@techno.ca http://www.techno.ca/studio/naw