Re: remix?

Subject: Re: remix?
From: Chris Rolfe (rolfe@sfu.ca)
Date: Mon Jul 19 1999 - 15:33:19 EDT

Larry Austin wrote:
>Interesting to observe that we keep re-inventing (sic) musical means
>and coining new words and/or coining new meanings for old words
>without at least acknowledging the original usage...or is that being
>academic?

I don't see a big leap from remix (v. trans) to remix (n.), except for the
subtle shift in accent from second to first syllable. The remixer has
access to the original multitrack production material, hence, remixes the
material. Note, that in most commercial production the composer/artist
didn't do the original mix either. That's the producers job.

For TRULY egregrious plundering of the music dictionary ...

There's a fluff piece on remixing in the July '99 issue of Computer Music
(!!). Judging by the content, the magazine's focus is English club music
(House, Dub, Hip Hop, etc.) w/ a heavy dose of home studio technology.

Sigh...

Chris

====================
Third Monk Software