Re: observances, etc.

Subject: Re: observances, etc.
From: Dennis Bathory-Kitsz (bathory@maltedmedia.com)
Date: Mon Jul 19 1999 - 00:03:30 EDT

At 11:46 PM 7/18/99 -0400, Eric wrote:
>Alas, Dennis, I am afraid my age does show. I was a "sixties" college
>student and I guess I have to admit to still having a sixties aesthetic
>bias. On the other hand it was in the sixties that I discovered Larry
>Austin and Robert Ashley. So maybe I am not totally hopeless?

Haha, perhaps, perhaps not. I was also a Sixties college student, but
managed to forget most of that ... it's one of the welcome parts of middle
age!

Seriously, though, I was also influenced by those young composers, and even
had the good fortune to be at a school where Pauline Oliveros was giving
seminars. But Kevin's point about access to only a few recorded composers
back then is well taken. I bet we could name them, and even describe the LP
covers. It was so different from today, a great golden age of new music
when it's possible for PAE to have 700 entries (seven hundred! what a
wonderful, unimaginable burden!)

Dennis
http://kalvos.org/