Re: more observances

Subject: Re: more observances
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Sun Jul 18 1999 - 23:40:05 EDT

naut continued ..

>- my "impressionistic" statement above refers to primarily to >the music
jury experience of never having enough time to >really judge entries
properly and having to go by the awkward >method of way too quickly trying
to evaluate far too many >submissions and still be fair or objective.
>Indeed a flawed >system but given the attention parameters of competition
>situations like this should we view the works more >anonymously at first
>look or give special attention because >we know WHO the entries are from
>or the concepts behind >each piece?

Many thanks.

(Sorry, but I'm not a believer in objectivity, and will accept that a
jury is by definition biased ... but I have no problem with this, and in
most cases, many others don't as well, as long as one is aware of the
bias. Long pieces, don't bother. [Farewell Das Rhinegold, Beethoven Ninth
... but how many people have sat through more than 1 minute 31 seconds of
Also sprach Zarathustra, or the Copland Third Symphony?])

Were the people who entered the competition informed that only a small
portion of their piece would be listened to? Were they given the option of
which part this should be (as happens with many Arts Council juries)?

Were the sections chosen at random, or were they the first couple of
moments (seconds to a portion of a minute), and then a forward skip to
some later (unknown) section of the piece, with the jury making informed
'guesses' as to what happens between?

I do appreciate the difficulties that the jury faced. Did the organizers
expect the 700 (?) or so entrants? Maybe this is like trying to find "the
world's greatest athlete", by looking at 30 second clips of their skill.
This is prejudicial to the long distance runner, the soccer player and
anyone whose sport requires a sustained high level of skill and
accomplishment.

I'm not expecting, or asking you to respond to these questions, and
sincerely appreciate your openness and clear forthcoming style and
nature. Thank you.

kaustin@vax2.concordia.ca