re:(non)academic music and gender issues, etc

Subject: re:(non)academic music and gender issues, etc
From: matt kober (mattkober@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jul 18 1999 - 15:29:16 EDT

           Hannah Bosma <hannah@hum.uva.nl>wrote:

>The non-academic electronic music world is as much, maybe even more, a
man's world as academia. Learning electronic music skills outside
>institutions, from an early age on, relies on male friends, peer
>grouping,
boys networks, male-oriented magazines, audio- and computershops with
almost exclusively men in it, etc. Is academia in this respect perhaps
>friendlier place for women, because there one can subscribe to a
course
>instead of finding a boys network to learn electronic >>music skills?

I agree with you on this point, hannah. From my experience, there are
vastly fewer women making electronic music outside of the academic
realm... but that is changing (slowly) from what I can see, I think due
in part to the anonymity afforded by a pseudonym or moniker (like
"Neotropic") where one isn't confronted by an immediate gender-bias.
If you don't know who really is behind the music, you must pay
attention only to the music.. I listened to Neotropic for years before
i realized it was a "she". Academia might be a friendlier place,
but...i think the sad truth is that a brilliant light has to shine
twice as long and bright to be given due respect... if it's female.

>Take a look for example in the world of electronic dance music,
whether
>"experimental" or "commercial". Women mainly figure there as singers
>and
>dancers.

maybe in the commercial realm (i.e. that really terrible house crap on
mainstream radio..) but in terms of experimental.. i think there is
room for more than the sulky trip-hop stuff, and from what i can see,
there is an openness to anything new.. be it created by woman or man.
I'm thinking of Laika, the above mentioned Neotropic, Atari Teenage
riot, Laurie Anderson, DJ Maus...

>Another strange phenomenon is that so much composers of >electronic
>dance /
>ambient music are saying (without further explanation) >to be influend
>by
>the Greatest White Male Modernist Composer Karlheinz >Stockhausen,
while
>do not perceive any relation of their music to the >music of
>Stockhausen. I
>have a strong feeling that with this reference, these >electronic
dance
/
>ambient composers are looking for academic prestige.

I totally disagree with this. Since when does one's music neccessitate
any relation or similarity to one's influences? I've been influenced,
at different times, by Schoenberg and by Motorhead (for example)...
Doesn't mean I write 12 compositions for distorted bass.
  Actually, some stuff souds a bit more like Stockhausen. Who hasn't
really been an influence..

TCB,

M@