Re: Electroacoustic Music & Theatre

Subject: Re: Electroacoustic Music & Theatre
From: Martin Gotfrit (martin_gotfrit@SFU.CA)
Date: Fri Jul 16 1999 - 14:38:49 EDT

Dear Deirdre,

Speaking for my area of Vancouver, British Columbia, there is much use of
electroacoustic music in theatre. There are several sound designers who
have been trained in ea. Theatre soundscapes/scores and especially dance
scores often reflect this training: granulated sound or other interesting
transformations, live accompaniment using samplers/computers, etc. I
myself did a work a couple of years ago where the set was wired with
sensors and the actor's movements triggered an algorithmic composition
system which generated the score. My impression is that the large,
conventional productions (i.e. Blithe Spirit once again) are fairly
conservative in their use of sound but that most other productions show a
great deal of imagination.

martin.

Martin Gotfrit, Associate Prof., Music Area,
Simon Fraser University, School for the Contemporary Arts
Burnaby B.C. * V5A 1S6 * 604-291-3517/fax/5907