Conference

Subject: Conference
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Fri Jul 16 1999 - 00:53:15 EDT

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:13:27 -0500
From: Ellen Waterman <ewaterman@trentu.ca>
Subject: For immediate distribution: Sound Escape!
To: acoustic-ecology@sfu.ca, cecdiscuss@concordia.ca

Sound Escape: an international conference on acoustic ecology, will be
held at Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario from June 28 to July 2,
2000.

Below you will find the call for papers in both email text and as a word
file attachment. You can also
find it at our website: www.trentu.ca/soundescape Please post this
information to your relevant
destinations. The deadline for submissions is October 1, 1999.

Thanks very much!

Ellen Waterman,
Asst. Prof.
Cultural Studies
Trent University
Peterborough, Ontario
K9J 7B8

 ewaterman@trentu.ca

CALL FOR PAPERS

Sound Escape
A Conference on Acoustic Ecology

Sponsored by the Frost Centre for Canadian Heritage and Development
Studies
at Trent University
and the Canadian Association for Sound Ecology

 The Frost Centre and CASE invite proposals for papers, joint sessions,
and sonic art works for the interdisciplinary conference Sound Escape,
to be held at Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada from June
28 through July 2, 2000.

 Building on resolutions developed at the 1998 Hörr upp! conference in
Stockholm, the main goal of Sound Escape is to promote and develop
broad-based, interdisciplinary approaches to research in the field of
acoustic ecology. We welcome proposals from those involved in the
sciences, communications, education, activism, arts and industry.
Submissions from graduate students in relevant fields will also be
considered. We anticipate publishing some of the proceedings of Sound
Escape as Volume Four of the Yearbook in Soundscape Studies.

Themes:
We especially invite proposals related to the theme of sonic geography
remembered and imagined. At this millenial transition point, let us
consider the culture of sonic geography in all its political,
ideological, ecological, nostalgic and economic dimensions. How may we
define and measure sonic space? What lessons are to be learned from the
study of historical soundscapes? What are the effects of globalisation
on the soundscape? In what ways does the changing soundscape affect
regional cultures? How are we to measure everyday sonic culture
qualitatively? What is the value of private/public sonic space? What is
the relation between sonic space and ecological activism? How may we
best design our future soundscapes, and by whose authority? How much is
silence worth?

Submissions:
 All submissions must include an abstract (details below), a short
biography and a one-page resume for each committed participant, giving
contact information for all of 1999/2000.

 Papers should be no more than 20 minutes in length. Submit an abstract
of no more than 500 words stating the title and topic, and describing
the methods and results of the research. Papers may be given in English
or French.

 Proposals for joint sessions must describe the topic and state the
purpose of the session in fewer than 1000 words. It is expected that
joint sessions will be interdisciplinary including participants from at
least three different fields. All participants must register for the
conference.
 Submissions of sonic artworks will be considered for performance at an
evening concert and/or in special programming on Trent Radio. We invite
submissions from experienced and emerging sound artists, reflecting on
the themes of Sound Escape. Radio submissions may include sound art
and/or spoken word programs usually of no more than 60 minutes
duration. Programs may be in English, French or any First Nations
language. Live Radio performances and overnight installations (Radio
Noir) will also be considered. Concert submissions must be no longer
than 20 minutes in length. Submissions should include a tape-cassette
or CD of the work along with a short artist's statement. For works in
progress, include a 15-30 minute CD or audio cassette containing samples
of previous work along with a 500-word text description of the proposed
work.

Contact Information:
 Five copies of each proposal should be sent no later than October 1,
1999 to Dr. Ellen Waterman, Cultural Studies Program, Trent University,
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada K9J 7B8. Proposals may also be sent
before October 1, 1999 by electronic mail to Dr. Waterman at
<ewaterman@trentu.ca>. Facsimile transmissions will not be accepted.

 For more information about Sound Escape please contact Dr. Waterman or
visit our web-site at <www.trentu.ca/soundescape>