Academic Art and Popular Art speak to the Listener

Subject: Academic Art and Popular Art speak to the Listener
From: Arun Chandra (arunc@elwha.evergreen.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 11 1999 - 03:09:03 EDT

Academic Art and Popular Art speak to the Listener:

One music says: Listen to me! Pay attention! Don't talk with your
neighor while I am sounding, you'll miss what I have to say: I'm
offering you something, I'm showing you something, I'm telling you
something ---- I'm opening a door you may not have noticed, and I'm
inviting you in.

The other says: I help create a world for you where you should talk and
laugh with your friends, dance if you wish: I do not --require-- your
undivided attention.

Both musics can be made with care, passion, and thought.

One requires more from a listener than the other: which is why it has
never been popular.

Arun Chandra
arunc@evergreen.edu