Re: (Fwd) Thaemlitz RE: Prix Ars Electronic 99 (Computer Music)

Subject: Re: (Fwd) Thaemlitz RE: Prix Ars Electronic 99 (Computer Music)
From: Terre Thaemlitz (terre@comatonse.com)
Date: Sat Jul 10 1999 - 16:29:33 EDT

hi ian,

>> now with Digital Musics' emphasis
>> on marketplace electronica, my electroacoustic entries are prone to
>> dismissal as purely 'academic'.
>
>I cant help wondering what 'purely academic ' is supposed to mean. ....
>I'd really like to hear a piece of music which is purely academic, and then
>maybe I could participate in this discussion with a degree of understanding.
>Anyone got a suggestion?

i think you misunderstood me. i was not referring to any actual sound as
'purely academic' - i was talking about my concerns about an ideological
response by PAE toward direct digital synthesis as inherentlyl 'academic'
(ie., conservative, complicit with Modernist great White male canons, ivory
towers, uninteresting to the common folk, etc.), which is clearly not the
case.

>> case and point, my 1999 honorable mention was for a MIDI (totally
>> non-electroacoustic) piece which is not the type of thing i would prefer
>> to be acknowledged for by PAE.
>
>Since when is a MIDI piece _NOT_ electroacoustic?

oops, i guess i should clarify - it's a jazz piece sequenced in Studio
Vision Pro, and played on a Korg M1, 2 Casio FZ-10M samplers, and a Boss
Dr. Rhythm drum machine. The project does have a theoretical schtick, but
in terms of production it simply sounds like improvised acoustic jazz. in
my previous comments i was making a distinction between this sort of sound,
and my clearly 'electroacoustic' direct digital synthesis work submitted
previous years.

i should also revise my comments in that the Mego label's work awarded by
the jury is certainly 'electroacoustic' by most peoples' standards, and i
would not want my previous comments to disavow that.

terre thaemlitz comatonse recordings
terre@comatonse.com 1097-b 54th street
http://www.comatonse.com/ oakland, ca 94608-3018 usa

"They're a group of a black-trenchcoat mafia homosexuals."
- Student interviewed on CNN via cellular phone during shootings
in Littleton, CO

"[Disenfranchised youth] are all over this country, and they're
all being insulted, and they're all being ridiculed. All you
people who are saying stuff about them, stop it unless you want
another bullet hole in you, too."
- Alex Marsh, former member of the Columbine HS 'Trenchcoat Mafia'