Re: Academic or Not?

Subject: Re: Academic or Not?
From: Larry Austin (austin@sndart.cemi.unt.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 10 1999 - 08:00:38 EDT

KEVIN AUSTIN wrote:

> I think that one way to look at this is not to look at the piece itself
> and call it academic/non-academic, but to look at the environment and
> context within which it is being so-labeled.

Yes, I agree. Here's an example from my own experience:

John Cage, to Austin, after hearing Austin's 'Canadian Coastlines:
Canonic Fractals for Musicians and Computer Band', in a concert at the 1981
International Computer Music Conference, Denton, Texas, Nov. 5, 1981:

              "I think it's beautiful, Larry. I don't understand it."

and

Prof. Leo Kraft, distinguished theorist and composer, to Austin, after
hearing Austin's
'Canadian Coastlines', in a concert at the 1983 American Society of
University Composers, Baton Rouge, Feb. 26, 1983:

              "Actually, Larry, I didn't like it. I don't understand it."

Other examples abound.

Larry Austin