Re: academic vs. popular

Subject: Re: academic vs. popular
From: Anomalous Records Eric (eric@anomalousrecords.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 23:03:51 EDT

>I just think that its dangerous to categorize music by attempting to
>explain its
>creation through perceived generalities.

I agree totally. That is a lot of what I am trying to say.

 Some of my favorite ea composers are
>not associated with a university nor a record label nor are rich. I have a
>hard
>time seeing the victory here for these "other" artists. If anything they are
>closer to most of the composers of ea music as far as socially related
>standings
>(no money, working at a fast food chain, doing it because we want to, and
>enjoy
>what we do).

That is another point I have been trying to make. Aside from differences
that people are putting onto some of this stuff (which I gather from the
outcry of who won this silly little prize), the people are pretty much the
same. My point of a victory was that it sort of shows these other people
also exist and are doing the same sort of thing. Too bad it has to be such
an exclusive either / or, where one group seems to dominate (as in this
case of Prix Ars Electronica), though I think it's important that some
people in the schools and such paths now that there is inovative music
coming from outside their system, just as much as I think it's important to
these younger noise people that Xenakis and others have done what they did.
Both sides can be rather resistant to seeing the 'others' as equal, but
more and more there are people who see it as one large field, rather than
little segments, which I think is closer to the reality of it. Obviously,
from Lawrence's example, a lot of people are open to other sounds.

Eric Lanzillotta
<eric@anomalousrecords.com>

Anomalous Records
P.O. Box 22195, Seattle, WA 98122-0195, USA
telephone: (206) 328-9339 fax: (206) 328-9408
<http://www.anomalousrecords.com/> or <http://209.221.136.101>
<http://www.anomalousrecords.com/Streamline/>