academic vs. popular

Subject: academic vs. popular
From: Anomalous Records Eric (eric@anomalousrecords.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 17:38:16 EDT

>By the description above it seems that I am not "academic" but "popular" in my
>compositional approach. I think the major record companies would have a hard
>time dealing with my music being called "popular" or "commercial" because it
>comes from a different "institution" than the "institution" they are used to
>hearing and dealing with.

I think you mis-understood what I said. 'Popular' is just way I tried to
express the us (academia) and everyone else that I see on this list. And
in part I would like to point out the absolute stupidity that is suggested
by saying that if you aren't part of an institution that you would be on a
major label or must be trying to sell your work. A lot of the artists that
people on this list have been whining about winning prizes are not on major
labels or making money from their art and never will be. For them, Prix
Ars Electronica 1999 is a victory, because finally you don't need to list
off where you went to school and who you studied with to be taken
seriously. The point of what I wrote was to point out that these divisions
are in ways people see themselves and therefore try to project themselves
to others. As I said before, the results (musically) themselves are often
the same on both sides of this imaginary fence.

Eric Lanzillotta
<eric@anomalousrecords.com>

Anomalous Records
P.O. Box 22195, Seattle, WA 98122-0195, USA
telephone: (206) 328-9339 fax: (206) 328-9408
<http://www.anomalousrecords.com/> or <http://209.221.136.101>
<http://www.anomalousrecords.com/Streamline/>