Packinging of Music

Subject: Packinging of Music
From: Eric Somers (somers@sunydutchess.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 17:18:22 EDT

At 12:13 PM 7/7/99 -0700, Eric L. wrote:
> If someone takes the same piece of slow moving
>electronic sounds and packages it alternately as 'dark ambient sounds to
>relax your mind' with a pretty and forboding picture on the front, or as
>'computer music created at such and such University' with liner notes
>explaining all the algorhythms used to generate the sound, which one do you
>think people are likely to think might be approachable and something that
>they want to listen to?

I saw this principle in effect several years ago when I bought Gavin Bryars
"Sinking of the Titanic." Up to then most people thought of Bryars as an
"experimental" composer most known for "The Blood of Jesus Never Failed Me
Yet" made by looping a phrase from a street preacher. But the whole
ambient movement then hit and my copy of "Sinking. . ." had a big label
pasted over the cover advertising "63 minutes of pure ambience" or some
such thing. I am sure they sold copies to people who would otherwise not
have purchased "experimental tape music."

- Eric