Re: (Fwd) Thaemlitz RE: Prix Ars Electronic 99 (Computer Music)

Subject: Re: (Fwd) Thaemlitz RE: Prix Ars Electronic 99 (Computer Music)
From: Darren Copeland (darcope@interlog.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 10:44:48 EDT

>as for myself, this year's jury results marks an end to the last few years
>of transition from academic "computer music" to marketplace "digital
>musics". i know that many of us had considered these past few years a time
>of great importance and potential to integrate culturally critical
>discourse into the PAE, but that does not seem to be the case. since i
>think the computer music category was in need of reform i cannot be angry
>about its loss, but i am disappointed by the way in which the 'digital
>musics' is not critically looked upon for its own exclusionary tendencies.
>it is highly unlikely i will enter PAE again, let alone with an
>electroacoustic entry.
>
>-terre thaemlitz

I think this hits the nail on the head. The lack of two-way critical
discussion between organizers and community in the operation of competitions
in general does nothing more than alienate some parties over others.
Obviously from the discussion here the community has a lot to say on the
subject, but to what ends will this discussion lead?

The frustrating thing about Prix Ars is that they were waiving this big flag
for inclusiveness and merely repeated the same mistakes of the competitions
they were opposed to. That is why I suggested the separate categories - for
not only the dubious distinction of popular and academic (is there a better
way to label it?), but for separating concert-CD works and those for other
media like sound sculpture or video. This way they can put their money
where their mouth is, so to speak... or at least be completely open with things!

Should anything formal being organized in this respect? Or are we all going
to take a deep breath of air and say the heck with it!

Darren Copeland

--------
darcope@interlog.com

For more background on my work, contact my web site at:
http://www.interlog.com/~darcope

Click on New Adventures in Sound for more information about Sound Travels.

For info about the CEC, contact their web site at:
http://cec.concordia.ca