MILLENNIUM URBAN SOUNDSCAPE PROJECT

Subject: MILLENNIUM URBAN SOUNDSCAPE PROJECT
From: Chris Meloche (cmeloche@julian.uwo.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 11:25:48 EDT

Many thanks to all of the folks who have expressed interest in contributing
to the project and especially to those who have already forwarded their
contributions to me.

Here's another call for submissions. Please note that I've addressed 2
important situations. In order to accomodate many people's vacation
schedules, I've extended the deadline to August 31st. Also... so many
people wanted to submit more than one sound clip that I'll now be able to
accept 2 clips from each contributor.

Thanks again for the interest in the project.

Cheers,
Chris

--- CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS ---

"MILLENNIUM URBAN
SOUNDSCAPE PROJECT"
A global sonic event curated by Chris Meloche

The "Millennium Urban Soundscape Project" is
designed to form a sonic time-capsule of city life at the
end of the Twentieth Century. It is during the last
century of this millennium that the greatest growth of
urban centers has taken place. For example, if one were
to have stood at the main intersection of their city in
1899, the sounds that they would have heard would
have been totally different than those that occur today.
The sounds of dirt roads and horse hooves have been
replaced with the sounds of modern car tires on asphalt.

Project purpose: To create a sonic snapshot of city
sounds at the end of the Twentieth Century.

Call for submissions: I am presently seeking
contributions of urban sonic soundscapes from persons
around the globe. Submissions should be no longer
than 2 minutes in length. Recordings should consist
of raw, unprocessed urban environmental sounds
which the recordist finds interesting (sonic
sanctuaries to aural blights - street sounds, malls,
train stations, subways, zoos, parks, offices, markets
etc... outside, inside... wherever). A brief description
of the tape (i.e. location and why it is of particular
interest) should be included. The recordist can submit
up to 2 different audio clips. Submission media can be
DAT, cassette or CD-R. In keeping with the spirit of
documenting the end of the Twentieth Century, tapes
should consist of sounds recorded during the 1990s.
Sounds do not have to come from the city where the
contributor resides but, can be collected from their
travels.

Project diffusion: The final edited work (approximately
3 hours in duration) will be diffused in two
manners. The complete work will be locally broadcast
over the facilities of CHRW-FM (London, Ontario,
Canada) as well as globally via their RealAudio
Internet feed at the end of October 1999. Coinciding
with this event will be a Web site which will document
the soundscapes and contributors included in the MUSP.
Note: All contributions will be used solely for non-
commercial purposes.

Submission deadline: August 31, 1999.

Submissions or enquiries can be forwarded to:

"MILLENNIUM URBAN SOUNDSCAPE
PROJECT"
c/o CHRIS MELOCHE
P.O. BOX 1403, STN. A