Re: Prix Ars Electronic 99 (Computer Music)...my 2 centimes...

Subject: Re: Prix Ars Electronic 99 (Computer Music)...my 2 centimes...
From: Katharine Norman (K.Norman@gold.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 05 1999 - 12:53:21 EDT

..

>Pierre Henry plays at dance parties for goodness sake....the kids love it
>and so does he....Steve Reich gets 'remixed' ... DJ Spooky works with
>Xenakis...Tony Conrad records with Faust....Terre Thaemlitz does piano
>interpretations of Kraftwerk....as does Balinesku in his own way ('scuse
>spelling)...and the Kronos Quartet did Hendrix years ago....
>
>get into it!!!!
>
>with respect
>
>alan
>"Love is not love that alters when it alteration finds"
>Wild Bill Shakespeare.

with respect too Alan, can't we all stop picking teams? You seem to assume
those critical of the PAE's stance this year don't know this music or have
any 'respect' for it. It's this kind of assumption that is a kind of
deliberate reverse elitism, no? I've got all of the above bar Thaemlitz,
saw Pierre Henry do his stuff just the other night in London (loud!) and am
certainly 'into' some of it. I know I'm not alone. I enjoy some of The
Aphex Twin's stuff - particuarly in the early 90s when I first came across
it. That's not the point.

Whether we subscribe to the Wire or CMJ or both isn't the point either. On
my bookshelf, Wild Bill and Terry Pratchett, but I couldn't assess one
against the other in the Booker Prize.

if the competition is going to be honest, and is *honestly* going to be all
things to all men and women - in truth, I can't see another way than by
somehow making some division of categories based on different (not
better/worse) aesthetic intent. And I'd be glad to add my name to anything
that suggests this to the PAE.

Katharine