phantom radio!

Subject: phantom radio!
From: Larry Austin (austin@sndart.cemi.unt.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 03 1999 - 21:50:19 EDT

Dear friends:

I have a problem, which I hope/trust one or more
of you can help me with.

1. I am receiving a Mexican radio broadcast via
my reel-to-reel TEAC 3340-S tape recorder whenever
I turn it on simply to play back a tape.

2. The radio signal is very low amplitude and can only
be heard with the gain on the pre-amps turned up or
the mixer it is connected to for monitoring. BUT it
is enough to ruin any transfer I want/need to make
from reel-to-reel archive material to my computer
and thence to soundfile and thence to a cd archive, etc.

3. I have tried everything I know to do in my experience:
shielded jumper cables; changing the power source; moving
the tape machine; etc.

Any suggestions for fixes to get rid of this radio signal
are most welcome.

Thanks much.

Larry Austin