Re: PAE, music etc

Subject: Re: PAE, music etc
From: Eric Somers (somers@sunydutchess.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 01 1999 - 08:24:03 EDT

At 09:22 AM 7/1/1999 +0100, you wrote:
>OK, maybe I am a little late on this as I have
>only just caught up the Prix Ars recent discussion...

[ Discussion]

I find Natasha's analysis generally well thought out. As a sound composer
for dance, theatre and video (primarily) I find that I often have to write
music that can be instantly comprehended (i.e. "immediate gratification")
while the audience is also engaged in watching complex visual art. Thus I
often cannot use the more complex structures of academic music. On the
other hand, I try not to borrow the formatted "styles" of pop music
(techno, ambient, industrial, etc.). My point is that perhaps formatted or
"styled" music is a better term than "superficial" since one can more
easily recognize a style than decide when a piece goes beyond the surface
(and I think I have heard some superficial "art music" as well).

- Eric