Re: shockwave - realaudio debate

Subject: Re: shockwave - realaudio debate
From: Ross Bencina (rossb@audiomulch.com)
Date: Sat Jun 26 1999 - 04:46:09 EDT

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz writes:

>At 15 29 06 25 1999 +0000, A.J.Moore wrote:
>>are there any other options ?
>
>mp3. The encoders and players are free. It streams only on fast
>connections, though, as it's 128K stream. See http://www.mp3.com/ and
>http://www.winamp.com/ for more info.
>
>For 28.8/56K streaming, I think the only free option that's popular is
>RealAudio right now. Shockwave and Quicktime all cost money.

Shockwave now supports streaming MP3 and I think the Real Audio G2 player
does as well. Although I havn't tried it I don't think mp3 is restricted to
128k, you could drop the rate and probably get quality close to Ra or Sw if
not better.

I am sometimes employed to author shockwave content, the only time I'd use
shockwave streaming audio is when it was an integrated part of an
interactive schlockwave applet, otherwise I'd go for RA or mp3.

Best,

Ross.