Re: shockwave - realaudio debate

Subject: Re: shockwave - realaudio debate
From: Dennis Bathory-Kitsz (bathory@maltedmedia.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 11:00:22 EDT

At 15 29 06 25 1999 +0000, A.J.Moore wrote:
>are there any other options ?

mp3. The encoders and players are free. It streams only on fast
connections, though, as it's 128K stream. See http://www.mp3.com/ and
http://www.winamp.com/ for more info.

For 28.8/56K streaming, I think the only free option that's popular is
RealAudio right now. Shockwave and Quicktime all cost money.

I'm not sure about Liquid Audio's features -- it's been around a while, not
much use, but some big companies are getting behind it. Microsoft supports
a set of streaming technologies in their new Windows media system.

There's also Beatnik -- its encoder was free while in beta, but I'm not
sure about now.

Dennis
http://maltedmedia.com/