Re: words and music (PAD)

Subject: Re: words and music (PAD)
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Thu Jun 24 1999 - 08:30:48 EDT

Hi Stephen

You wrote ...

>Hello. for me categories are bewildering due to their inherant lack of
>specificity (they always cut a wide swath),

Agreed. For me it is more important to reflect on the profile or
parameters of the category. Some categories are far apart, and therefore
require fewer parameters. (eg visual <-> sonic), some are closer together
(eg buff <-> tangerine). Categories may share characteristics, and have
elements that differentiate them (eg the words "should" / "could", where
the shift from /sh/ to /k/ allows for sonic identity) (It also provides
for behavioral considerations as well ... but that's another story.)

kaustin@vax2.concordia.ca