Re: Prix Ars Digital Musics results

Subject: Re: Prix Ars Digital Musics results
From: Kevin Busby (busbykg@novell2.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 23 1999 - 08:08:02 EDT

Lawrence Casserley wrote:

>My point is just the opposite - techno in its "purest" (!) form has come
>from a completely different direction culturally, aesthetically and
>technically.

Culturally? To me _personally_, it's at its "purest" when showing its
German cultural roots rather than the Ibiza etc. grafts which came later (I
must agree though that it is not a "logical progression from an academic
form of music making" - surely it's a related branch). Aesthetically? Well,
again, I suppose it all depends on what sort of "techno" one is talking
about. The fascination with sound may be less informed but is often every
bit as sincere. Technically? The roots are mostly the same, surely?

Mr A. J. Moore wrote:

>the so-called street level tends to be associated with a dropped out,
>drugged up to the eyeballs 'we woz havin a larf' culture here in the UK.
>I for one am glad _not_ to be of the majority...the doors of perception
>were opened years ago by Mr. Huxley...we gayly go walzing through
>them now without even thinking.

So LSD culture is better than E culture? ;-)

>window licker is in a similar vein to come to daddy -
>great video - it is playing with exactly what we expect from
>our voyeuristic world

The world is certainly full of surprises.

--
Kevin Busby, Studio Manager, Department of Music, University of Birmingham,
Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, England. Tel: +44-(0)121-414 5785.