Re: Prix Ars Digital Musics results

Subject: Re: Prix Ars Digital Musics results
From: Ned Bouhalassa (ned@CAM.ORG)
Date: Tue Jun 22 1999 - 17:39:21 EDT

Neil,

Please note that no one person speaks for cecdiscuss as a whole, especially
when it comes to the value of one music over another. I think that it's
fair to say that there are narrow-minded people everywhere. In the words of
a wise man, "can't we all just get along?"

As for my two cents, I think that 'pure' electroacoustics will always
appeal to a small audience, and there's nothing wrong with that. I do
believe that it's wrong however to put it down because some of its
practitioners do not care for the latest, more popular music of the day.
Not so distant cousins, both ea and techno as sub groups of electronic
music in general can be inclusive, but individual artists don't have to.
We're not all looking at the world from the same vantage point, and that's
healthy. Finally, I also think that the Ars Electronica digital music
category should be divided into separate sections so that apples don't
compete with oranges.

BTW, I have seen the Aphex Twin video and it is very good. He always takes
chances with his music. That said, I'm not so sure that he needs his work
to be recognized by yet another group or society. Aphex Twin is one of the
most recognized artists in the very popular world of techno. The same thing
cannot be said of many of the previous electroacoustic composers who have
been rewarded by Ars in the past. It may be that the festival is returning
to its roots, when it championed another unknown by the name of Peter
Gabriel...

ned