Re: Prix Ars Digital Musics results

Subject: Re: Prix Ars Digital Musics results
From: Lawrence Casserley (leo@chiltern.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 22 1999 - 16:38:59 EDT

>I agree that diversity must be embraced, but that the individual styles or
>genres should be treated separately because they are really made with
>completely different motivations. This would prevent also any ganging up of
>one style or grouping of artists.

Yes, but.....

I think in the end it is all about music - and it _is_ possible for
disinterested judges (I know they don't exist really!!) to assess the
_quality_ of submissions with "different motivations". I think this
problem is inherent in _any_ kind of prize - either you eliminate most of
the entries or you try to compare incompatible things. In the end there
is _always_ a significant subjective element.

I think "ganging up" is something that is prevented or promoted by the
organisers' agenda and choice of judges.

Lawrence

--
Lawrence Electronic Operations - Tel +44 1494 481381 - FAX +44 1494 481454
Signal Processing for Contemporary Music - email leo@chiltern.demon.co.uk