Re: Prix Ars Digital Musics results

Subject: Re: Prix Ars Digital Musics results
From: Katharine Norman (K.Norman@gold.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 22 1999 - 10:10:54 EDT

Surely the problem with the Prix Ars hoo-hah is not really the particular
music lauded in this year's jamboree, but the proclamations by the
organisers' concerning their motivations.

In our heart of hearts we all know that many 'competitions' have the
quality of the work way down on their unspoken list of criteria, the Prix
Ars lot were unusual only in their bare-faced chutzpah in basically stating
the fact, with rather smug naivety.

In a couple of years time the 'New' Prix Ars philosophy will probably be as
sadly amusing as a tacky blue translucent computer. More likely they'll
tone it down and settle for the 'corporate art' music prize they're
probably angling for anyway. A press statement that hammers on about the
division between the 'worth' of academic and non-academic stuff reveals
nothing more than how out of touch people can be,

Katharine

*****
Dr Katharine Norman
Director
Electronic Music Studios
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London SE14 6NW

+44 (0)171 919 7986 (direct) +44 (0)171 919 7643 (studio)
+44 (0)171 919 7640 (music dept office)
fax (0)171 919 7644 email: K.Norman@gold.ac.uk
http://musicinfo.gold.ac.uk/music/staff/norman.html
*****