Re: NY ea presenters

Subject: Re: NY ea presenters
From: Eric Somers (somers@sunydutchess.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 17 1999 - 11:28:03 EDT

At 10:07 AM 6/17/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Just out of curiousity. What is there in the way of electroacoustic
>concerts in the New York area?
>
>Who are the main presenters?
>
>Where do concerts usually take place?
>
>How often in a year?

There are many scattered e-a concerts presented by individuals in venues
not known specifically for e-a. An example would be Larry Austin's really
excellent piece in Merkin concert hall. But though Merkin is known to be
"new music" friendly it is not known especially for e-a. And I have heard
two e-a performances at Carnegie Hall (Pierre Boulez and Luciano Berio).
In addition there have been performances at places like the World Financial
Center and in art galleries.

Outside of the colleges and universities, and excluding the pop forms of
e-a (techno etc. which is widely performed in clubs in NYC) the only venue
I can personally think of which offers a regular series every year is
Experimental Intermedia run by Phil Niblock. He runs a couple of series a
year -- very good stuff in my opinion.

However, the odd individual concerts are not that hard to find because
there is a wonderful clearing house, "The Calendar of New Music," published
monthly (and on the web though I do not know the URL).

If there are other regular e-a series in NYC (other than student recitals)
I would love to know about them. But the "Calendar" is a real blessing.
New York is also blessed with a good new music radio program, "New Sounds"
hosted by John Schaffer.

- Eric