Microphone advice urgently required

Subject: Microphone advice urgently required
From: David Berezan (berezan@ucalgary.ca)
Date: Thu Jun 17 1999 - 10:58:56 EDT

I am in the process of making recordings of natural environmental sounds
in a variety of parks areas - mountains, grassland/prairie, forests.

To date I have not been satisfied with the fidelity of the recordings. I
am using a Tascam DA-P1 DAT recorder, and Audio Technica 4041 microphones.
The problem is that the noise floor is exaggerated in the recording - I
need to boost the recording level to capture the subtle sounds I am after
and therefore it seems to create a large background noise or "hiss".
There is also an extreme sensitivity to wind noise - even with the use of
wind screens.

I would very GREATLY appreciate some advice on which microphones are best
suited for my recording.

Thanks,

David Berezan

berezan@acs.ucalgary.ca