Re: Prix Ars Digital Musics results

Subject: Re: Prix Ars Digital Musics results
From: Alexandra Hettergott (a.hettergott@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat May 29 1999 - 14:13:53 EDT

Reacting to DC Mckinnon... :
Actually, I am finding this position a problematic, if not untenable one.
(1) The compensation problem : pleasing everybody certainly is something nobody is
able to do, but this reconsideration of and reorientation in (formerly) academic
competing, as stated by the Ars Electronica committee in this year, IMO, is
absolutely the right impulse at the right moment : looking more like an oscillation
from the one to the other extreme, what you called the shift/exchange of paradigms,
this continual pendulum is quite necessary for (any) redefining (of) a position, for
there certainly _are_ things changing in our (daily/art) music understanding, not
least concerning the easy consumption/Internet domain (and they will shift more to
the center later again.)
(2) The minority-majority (youth) problem : well, I do always have problems with
excluding others, I confess, be it the majority... Why rhythm, dance etc. should be
necessarily bad(er) or (euphemistically circumscribed) all too "redundant", and does
the opposite suggestion implied really is true ? No redundancy ever in "orthodox" EA
? Yet given the absolute profound only ? Moreover, the 1999' results do yet not imply
the future rigorous abandonment of all "the 'abstractions' of spectromorphological
properties and potentialities" you mention, which does/will (and fortunately !) still
have its platform.
(3) The aesthetic problem : which is certainly the most difficult point in your
statement ; applying this term to the musical past only certainly is incorrect in
this respect ; our listening behavior and expectations did change a lot in the, let's
say, last fifty years, and today the notion of aesthetics is more individual as
ever... If aesthetics is (personal) "pleasure", just as a supposition, why not (also)
the very pleasure of the youth who apparently likes moving to music (ever and again).
Only no-purpose music is "real" music ?
-- No, no, I am happy about this (tentative) reorientation with regard to a new
(musical) century, and also -- any chauvinism aside -- that Austria hosts a
haut-niveau festival like this...
Sincerely,
Alexandra Hettergott.

_______________________