Re: Hmmmmm

Subject: Re: Hmmmmm
From: Robert Davidson (s036614@student.uq.edu.au)
Date: Thu May 27 1999 - 04:07:03 EDT

Regarding gettting permission to quote materials in one's own music: I have
been writing lots of letters this week asking permission to quote snippets (2-8
bars in length) from Boulez, Stravinsky, Xenakis, Adams and many others in a
work which "megamixes" the 20th century for live orchestra (quoting a work from
each year since 1899), and have already received quite a few responses via
email, all quite cheerfully granting permission. So it doesn't seem to be so
painful. Maybe Dennis' pessimism will prove justified in my case when I
approach the estate of Bernard Hermann to use some obscure bits of "Psycho"
though.

This is a live performance piece and not a recording of course - that does seem
to make a big difference.

Robert Davidson