Re: Hmmmmm

Subject: Re: Hmmmmm
From: Robert Davidson (s036614@student.uq.edu.au)
Date: Tue May 25 1999 - 04:29:55 EDT

All this talk about sampling and collage emboldens me to pose a few questions to the
group regarding musical collage using quotations in notation. I am currently composing a
piece which uses a large number of small snippets from many living composers, all to be
played by live musicians (rather than in recorded form).

First question: I know many other composers have done this (most notably perhaps Berio
in his Sinfonia), but have been finding it difficult to locate much material on this
subject. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can avoid reinventing the
wheel?

Second question: I should get permission from the composer and/or publisher even if it's
just two bars or so, shouldn't I?

Robert Davidson