"Mmmmmm... Bisto" (c)(TM)(R)

Subject: "Mmmmmm... Bisto" (c)(TM)(R)
From: Kevin Busby (busbykg@novell2.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Tue May 25 1999 - 12:15:31 EDT

philip thompson wrote:
>I've never seen a collage that
>credited all the various sources used, and and I've never heard of a collage
>artist getting busted for including copyrighted materials (say a fragment of
>text from a novel or a part of an image from a magazine) in a piece. I think
>this might connect to what Kevin Busby was saying about recontextualization.

Yes, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of. If anyone here has $11,500
to spend, how about a nice picture of a can of soup?
( http://www.virtualartgalleries.com/campbell-awarhol.htm ) Will Campbell's
demand a cut? How about if I sample sounds from their advertisements...?

KEVIN AUSTIN wrote:

>It is my understanding that "fair use" is part of the Copyright Act of
>the USA, but is not part of Canadian copyright.

I didn't mean to imply any legal justification for my ponderings; I just
think the phrase "fair use" nicely sums up the ethical considerations for a
samplist. (If you like, I sampled the phrase and recontextualised it... No,
OK...!).

>What is the situation in
>the UK, Australia, France, Norway, other parts of europe? Japan ... ?

The side with the most expensive lawyers wins?

Carlos Alberto Augusto wrote:

>Reported, written and edited by David Duberman
[...]
>The study, a collaboration by the two companies, revealed that brand audio
>>signatures can have the same brand recognition and convey equal brand
>>attributes as the visual brand identity alone.

Maybe. I hear the Intel jingle and think "uggh".

>Detailed information about the study and its findings can be viewed at
>http://www.cheskin.com/think/thinking.html.

... provided you use the "right" browser. ;-)

KB

--
Kevin Busby, Studio Manager, Department of Music, University of Birmingham,
Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, England. Tel: +44-(0)121-414 5785.