Re: Hmmmmm

Subject: Re: Hmmmmm
From: Lawrence Casserley (leo@chiltern.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue May 25 1999 - 07:00:30 EDT

Linda wrote:

>More innocent usues of recorded music get caught in the middle
>of this, but even if it may not seem harmful to have some
>place's background music on your recording, it could technically
>be illegal. Unless the music industry has a way to prevent
>copying of its releases, all forms of copying may be considered
>as illegal. It's extremely difficult, from a legal point of
>view, to be a server of music on the web, for those reasons.

This reminds me of a problem that arose with, eg, the Stockhausen short
wave radio pieces like 'Spiral". Broadcasters would not broadcast these
pieces for fear of inadvertently re-broadcasting copyright material.

Lawrence

--
Lawrence Electronic Operations - Tel +44 1494 481381 - FAX +44 1494 481454
Signal Processing for Contemporary Music - email leo@chiltern.demon.co.uk