Time & Opera

Subject: Time & Opera
From: Barry Truax (truax@sfu.ca)
Date: Mon May 24 1999 - 02:40:51 EDT

    I've posted on my website the text of a short paper I'll be presenting
at the Bourges festival shortly on the topic of "Time and Electroacoustic
Music". Of course, the subject of time and music is vast and well-trod
territory, but I think that electroacoustics has something new to say
about it, particularly at the micro level (time-frequency concepts) and
perhaps at the supra-musical time scale (cultural memory).
    For those of you who are like me in not wanting to read anything
longer than two screens, I can assure you the paper is quite short (3
printed pages) and relatively concise!
    Also new on my website is the (finally!) complete libretto to my
electroacoustic opera Powers of Two, begun in 1995. The full length
version will be premiered in Montreal by Opera McGill probably in November
of this year in conjunction with the meetings of the International
Contemporary Opera & Music Theatre group, called NewOp 8, hosted by Chants
Libres. There will be quite some emphasis on new technology & opera, and
in my case, the music is entirely electroacoustic with 8-channel
computer-controlled diffusion.
    Barry Truax
website: www.sfu.ca/~truax (Time paper under "what's new"; opera under
"new compositions" or www.sfu.ca/~truax/powers.html)
    P.S. I will be in Europe from May 28-June 28, so please direct any
personal enquiries (truax@sfu.ca) before or after that. Thanks.