Re: Hmmmmm

Subject: Re: Hmmmmm
From: Alexandra Hettergott (a.hettergott@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun May 23 1999 - 13:26:17 EDT

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote :
>I am geting very quickly out of my depth, and may be naive in believing the
>"nose" rule ... that your liberty ends only upon striking the tip of my
>proboscis. But I simply don't have the tools to be articulate about the
>overwhelming issues of war or murder or naziism.
Ok, the example, in a certain way, might have been a little drastic (yet not entirely
unrealistic) ; inculding samples of a speech by Joseph Goebbels, for instance, in
a(ny) _non-critical_ manner might be bad enough. It is rather the recent proposal by
someone in another list to "forget about history--because it is all just meaningless,
invalid, rhetoric from premodern thinkers"... which is alarming to me in this
respect, since _for me_ the postmodern tolerance ends (already) with those items, and
the same applies to integrating (samples of) that very jargon itself in one's (art,
or even daily) discourse. -- As an example, there are others.
Yet I am a little helpless myself in this regard (so no provocation of whatever
sort).
Sincerely,
Alexandra.