Re: Mixing it...

Subject: Re: Mixing it...
From: Alexandra Hettergott (a.hettergott@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat May 22 1999 - 17:52:41 EDT

Referring to the "great oxymoron" Kevin Austin wrote (something like) :
>One of my questions about psychoacoustics is, "Does frequency exist?"

Okay, picking up the thread (which hasn't yet been "mine") I might state, what yet
surely is well-known, that "frequency" above all is a physical unit (f) reciprocally
referring to the period duration (t) of a given oscillation (hence f=1/t, earlier in
"cycles per second" as derived from the circular motion, today specified by "hertz",
with 1 Hz = 1 s(econd)^-1) which might be within the audible range. -- Well, for I
see well what you are aiming at (and for this very reason one does speak of "pitch"
rather than of frequency as such in a psychoacoustical context -- yet I am pretty
sure you know this yourself...), I might mention (in passing) that we do _need_ these
sober mathematical terms for a (verifiable) approximation re the
"description/explanation of the world -- and its (yet non-heard) phenomena --
sorrounding us"...
Sincerely,
Alexandra Hettergott
(la vérification est toujours laissée au lecteur).