Re: call for submissions: M.U.S.P.

Subject: Re: call for submissions: M.U.S.P.
From: Thomas Gerwin (inter.art.project@t-online.de)
Date: Mon May 17 1999 - 06:14:39 EDT

Chris Meloche schrieb:

> This is a general call for submissions for this project. My aim is to
> accumulate 100 to 150 soundscapes for this project from around the globe so
> as to make it as "international" a document as possible.

(snip)

Hi, Chris;

Do you know about my Acoustic World Atlas? It's an interactive sound and light
installation located at Center for Arts and Media (ZKM) in Karlsruhe, Germany
since about two years. It's an atlas of the soundscapes of 210 places all over
the world. Duration is between 10 and 45 seconds.
Please find attached the call for submission for this project that was
published
in 1997. You can find more information on my home page, even sounds. Also you
can get information from EMF's home page.

Last year on November 10 I made a cyber concert with Acoustic World Atlas. 10
musicians played at three different places of the world (Karlsruhe, Darmstadt,
Stockholm) at the same time the same piece - while they were broadcasted to
each other by satellite. The score is available from Edition Modern,
Amalienstr. 40,
D-76133 Karlsruhe, Germany. The CD from this concert will come out in September
1999.

6 short soundscape compositions of mine from Acoustic World Atlas come out on
the new PRESENCE II CD under the title "6 APHORISMS".

Please let me know if I can be of help to your - in several respects - very
similar project.

--
Thomas Gerwin
i n t e r   a r t   p r o j e c t

---> For more information on my work, please visit <--- http://www.swo.de/ThomasGerwin !!!NEW: Some TG. soundfiles now available on the page!!! Please listen.

Wanted: acoustic snapshots from around the world

The ZKM|Centre for Art and Media Karlsruhe is looking for environmental sounds and noises from all corners of the globe. These 'acoustic snapshots' will constitute the raw material for an 'Acoustic World Atlas' currently in development at the centre's media museum, which is due to open later this year. The interactive light and sound installation will enable visitors to call up sound portraits from different continents and to produce live an own musical composition out of it.

As of immediately, people are invited to record these global acoustic snapshots and mail them on sound carrier to the following address: ZKM|Centre for Art and Media Karlsruhe, Reference: Acoustic World Atlas, Kaiserstrasse 127, D-76133 Karlsruhe, Germany. Further information is available on the Internet at: http://www.zkm.de

Thomas Gerwin (composer and director of the ZKM audio collection) plans to further process the incoming 'soundscapes' into musical portraits of the relevant places of origin. At the same time, access to a large range of unedited sound contributions will be possible in the sound library of the ZKM|Mediathek.

The 'Acoustic World Atlas' will go on public view for the first time when the ZKM opens on 18 October 1997. The installation will appear in the ZKM|Media Museum alongside a number of interactive pieces that take a fresh approach to our dealings with digital media, and in this way open up new experiential horizons.

The premiere of a composition Thomas Gerwin is writing specially for his new instrument, the 'acoustic atlas' will take place during the media art festival Multimediale 5, which runs from 24 October 1997. ********************************************************** ** Zentrum fuer Kunst und Medientechnologie Karlsruhe **** Centre d'Art et de Technologie des Medias **** Center for Art and Media **** K A R L S R U H E (Germany) **** Kaiserstr.127, 76133 Karlsruhe ****Tel. +49 721 9340 - 147 **** FAX: +49 721 9340 - 19 **** email: tg@zkm.de ****web: http://www.zkm.de**