Re: Mixing it...

Subject: Re: Mixing it...
From: Alexandra Hettergott (a.hettergott@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat May 15 1999 - 08:01:30 EDT

Douglas Doherty wrote :
>... to suggest that an
>aesthetic link has no basis in technological sameness, only in aesthetic
>sameness ...
Well, it does certainly depend on where you're applying the "level of technology",
i.e, regarding the being a technological means (whether the actual meaning of
technology might start with pens and brushes...), yet also as regards the
technologically developped ones I wouldn't agree (and that an aesthetic link has a
basis only in aesthetic sameness might be considered a pleonasm...), yet no offense.

>In schools for example, Music Technology is in
>many cases no nearer to e-a culture than bashing out a tune on an old piano.
-- Well, might be that I am not so much into this field (school...) ; one reason
more, actually, to really consider sociolectal differences (language draws knowledge,
vice versa).

[re Kevin Busby] :
>I think it is down to you in fact: different people will hear different
>features of the _same physical entity (the sound)_ but understand it very
>differently.
-- But this would also deny the existence of *any* psychoacoustic facts...!

>>cross-genre awareness is more useful than calculatedly cross-genre music.
>I would agree with that wholeheartedly.
Me too.

Best,
Alexandra.