Re: Mixing it...

Subject: Re: Mixing it...
From: Alexandra Hettergott (a.hettergott@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu May 13 1999 - 11:23:34 EDT

Douglas Doherty wrote :

>Robert re-iterates my point in a less dramatic way perhaps; the use of the
>same technology does not in any way pre-suppose any kind of aesthetic link
>between DJ culture and "electro-acoustic music" culture.
-- yet I would be careful with putting my "any"'s here ; using the same technology
does not necessarily presuppose yet might lead to common grounds, as stated,
reciprocity certainly not strictly being given as regards both the relation between
the two items in question (DJ and ea culture) and the (old) question what comes
first, the technology or the aesthetics... (technology to a certain (aesthetical)
end, aethetics from a given technology (implying any misuse :-), not to speak about
the links. Also, an(y) extrapolation of personal approaches might be a little risky.
Alexandra Hettergott.

ps re the "misuse" : would a given technology "misused" for another purpose as
originally intended have been invented/set up in exactly the same way with the
aesthetical output as (decisive) input ?