Open Air

Subject: Open Air
From: Bijan Zelli (bjnzrced@calvados.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE)
Date: Tue May 11 1999 - 09:18:45 EDT

Dear list!
I wonder to what degree is a realistic approach to space in the open air
possible. I'd like to address this particularly to those, who work with
soundscape composition. B.Truax has mentioned that our technique today
doesn't allow a satisfying result, but I know that for example
H.Westerkamp uses the original spatial information as a point of
departure. What are really the spatial cues in the open air and what are
the technical problems to catch this information. Is the sound field
microphone for example an unsufficient technique?

Best wishes,
Bijan Zelli
Researcher at Berlin Technical University